Pern: Chronicles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
IC TIme

Current Pass
1st Pass

Year
11 AL (After Landing)

Season
Early Summer

Month
Month 13

Weather
Summer has finally come around again. Temperatures are expected to range from a high of 80°F (26°C) to a low of 65°F (18°C) making this summer warmer than normal. On some days you can expect a light cool breeze and evening are quickly warming up.

Weyrleaders

Caldera Weyr

Weyrwoman

Adrienne of Gold Galateath

Weyrleader

M'kael of Bronze Zharath

Cibola Weyr

TBA

Events

Please remember that you need to start you posts with..

IC Time:
IC Setting:

Current Events

14 of Galateath's 16 eggs hatch healthy and find partners. Congratulations.

This summer is warming up to be a hot one; as temperature are already warmer than normal.

Delanth has lain a clutch of 8 eggs; how many will hatch and will they be healthy.

Congratulations to the newest searched candidates.

Latest topics
» Second Pass Weyr | AU Canon Dragonriders of Pern
Hanamachi (geishas) The first lesson. EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 5:47 pm by Advertiser

» Solace Weyr
Hanamachi (geishas) The first lesson. EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 8:07 am by Advertiser

» ACTIVITY CHECK NUMBER TWO.
Hanamachi (geishas) The first lesson. EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 7:32 am by Delimar71

» Sanyo Weyr
Hanamachi (geishas) The first lesson. EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 12:07 pm by Advertiser

» Whoniverse-rp (Doctor Who) Wanna Be a Pirate?
Hanamachi (geishas) The first lesson. EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 11:44 am by Advertiser

» GESTALT THEORY 2.0
Hanamachi (geishas) The first lesson. EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 8:03 am by Advertiser

» Selenitas Weyr
Hanamachi (geishas) The first lesson. EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 9:05 am by Advertiser

» Expedition Pern
Hanamachi (geishas) The first lesson. EmptyThu Aug 26, 2010 8:34 pm by Advertiser

» Endless Horizons
Hanamachi (geishas) The first lesson. EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 1:02 am by Advertiser

» A Clockwork Pern
Hanamachi (geishas) The first lesson. EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 8:09 am by Advertiser

Copyright
All references to worlds and characters based on Anne McCaffrey's fiction are Copyright © Anne McCaffrey 1967-2009, all rights reserved. The Dragonriders of Pern® is Reg U.S. Pat & Tm. Office, by Anne McCaffrey, and may not be used or reproduced without permission of the author.

All content herein are Copyright © 2009 Pern: Chronicles. Characters are Copyright © to their respective authors.
Chit-Chat
There seems to be something wrong with chatango. We'll use cbox for the moment until chatango is up and running.

Hanamachi (geishas) The first lesson.

3 posters

Go down

Should I write out a lesson plan for the students?

Hanamachi (geishas) The first lesson. I_vote_lcap100%Hanamachi (geishas) The first lesson. I_vote_rcap 100% 
[ 5 ]
Hanamachi (geishas) The first lesson. I_vote_lcap0%Hanamachi (geishas) The first lesson. I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 5

Poll closed

Hanamachi (geishas) The first lesson. Empty Hanamachi (geishas) The first lesson.

Post by Hesper Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:20 am

Sashike was nervous, nervous and excited. She had posted an ad on the communal board that she was interested in teaching any young girl or woman in the ways of the geisha. She wasn't sure if she would get any takers, but she hoped she would. Sashike didn't want to see what she had lived for her entire life be forgotten. She knew that some of the old rules would probably have to be changed. There wasn't too many who followed or even knew of the old ways of Japan, so she couldn't expect them to completely change their ways of life. It was something that would have to be figured out as she went along.

Perhaps if there turned out to be more people interested and she could keep it growing, also figuring that they'd one day be able to spread out from this volcano, there could be a hanamachi right here on pern. For now her living quarters would have to work as an okiya. She was dressed in regular clothes, her geisha kimonos were too old and too rare to wear for anything other than special occasions. She was just happy she had been able to bring all of her and her mother's kimonos. Not to mention a few shaminens and make up kits that were handed down generation after generation. The makeup kits she doesn't use, she has more modern ones that do the same thing, but the old one is a keep sake she'd never let go off. Plus a lot of other trinkets she brought with her.

The bulletin had said for any girls interested to come to Sashike's quarters at two o'clock in the afternoon. Though she was younger, 25, she knew she had what it would take to teach others the ways of the geisha. She just hoped that the girls that came would be teachable and take this seriously and not just as something cool and new to do. She looked at the clock, it was five till two. "Come on, at least one person come."

Last edited by Hesper on Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Hesper
Hesper
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Hanamachi (geishas) The first lesson. Empty Re: Hanamachi (geishas) The first lesson.

Post by Houka Ryuu Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:44 am

Cally
Cally was getting impatient as she watched the time pass by. She had finally gotten permission from her father that she could learn lessons from Sashike on how to become a Geisha. He seemed to have some reservations until Auntie Beth had said that she would also come with her to the lessons. Cally had kept that slip of paper that had the directions for Sashike's residence. When it was half past one, she left their quarters and went on her way towards Sashike's.

She was excited really and wondered if maybe others would also be there to learn how to be a Geisha. Cally at least was not just going there on a whim. When she set her mind to doing something, she does it. And so, with a few minutes to spare, Cally knocked on Sashike's door, but she did not wait for the door to be opened. In fact, she opened the door herself and let herself in as she said, "Sorry for intruding. I hope I'm not too late, Sashike." breathing a little hard from her run towards Sashike's quarters.

Hunter who had been flying after Cally managed to get himself inside Sashike's quarters before Cally could close the door on him. He looked around before settling himself on Cally's right shoulder, his usual perch when he is in someone else's place.
Houka Ryuu
Houka Ryuu
Admin
Admin

http://houka-ryuu.com

Back to top Go down

Hanamachi (geishas) The first lesson. Empty Re: Hanamachi (geishas) The first lesson.

Post by Hesper Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:01 am

Sashike was setting out some sugar cookies for the people that came, something to make the first lesson a bit more interesting. She had also gotten some fresh fruit juice and put that out on a table with some glasses. About that time she heard a knock on the door, but before she could get over to answer it, Cally let herself in with her firelizard.

"You are fine, child. You're not late at all. Please help yourself to some juice and cookies while we wait to see if anyone else comes." She prayed fervently that at least one more person would come. "We'll give them about ten more minutes and then get started. How has your day been today?" She asked making small talk as they waited.
Hesper
Hesper
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Houka Ryuu Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:48 am

Cally
Cally smiled as she ever did to anyone she liked as she went over to where Sashike was. She saw the cookies on the table and felt a pang of sadness. She remembered times when she used to help her Mom bake cookies especially for her birthday and Turnover. So, when Sashike said it was fine to help herself, Cally quickly got one cookie for herself. She also took a glass and poured some fruit juice in it. When she bit into the cookie, she smiled for it was one of her favorite cookies, a sugar cookie. "These are great! Did you make them yourself?" she asked as she took another bite of the cookie.

She took a sip of her juice and then she heard Sashike make small talk. She stayed quiet for a while until she finished with the cookie. She nodded in agreement when Sashike suggested that they give the others another ten more minutes to arrive. And when Sashike asked how her day had been, Cally said, "Sssllllooooowwww" in a very exaggerated way. "The day seemed to pass so slowly and I couldn't wait to come here. I was watching the seconds tick by." she added with a roll of her eyes. "Anyways, I'm very excited to be here. Auntie Beth should be here soon. We kind of promised Dad that we would take the lessons together." Cally added as she finished reached out for her glass to finish her juice. As she did so, she looked towards the door wondering when Auntie Beth would finally make her appearance.
Houka Ryuu
Houka Ryuu
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rye Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:39 pm

Ooh, Mikhael owed her for this.

"Aww, Addy, please? Beth's got some children she has to wait on before she can go, and I don't want Cally there by herself..."

Adrienne's eyes narrowed, remembering how he'd used her pet name. Gods. Addy? Really. She'd heard of kittens with stronger names.

Her bronze, Lynx, was in his customary place on her neck; his tail was securely fastened around her throat and he was perched with his feet on her collarbone. As she walked briskly, Adrienne kept up a steady mental conversation with Lynx.

"Remind me again why I am doing this, love".

The bronze sent her his memory of the earlier encounter with Mikhael, and she sighed heavily. Adrienne then told him,

"Sometimes I wish you'd lie to me. Maybe, on occaision, tell me not to do something."

Lynx just crooned soothingly into her ear, and she smiled, her blue eyes soft with love for her faithful companion.

They walked on like this for a few minutes, until finally Adrienne saw Sashike's quarters. Stopping outside the door, the mechanic readied herself, then finally knocked. She grinned slightly; had Mik been watching, he would've been shocked. Adrienne Denae Zeryth, knocking? It was unheard of.

After a few seconds, Adrienne, tired of waiting, opened the door and stepped in, surveying those before her like an empress might eye her people. Seeing Sashike, she nodded ever so slightly, respectfully greeting the graceful dancer. Adrienne always admired those who had great control over their physical bodies, and dancing was control in one of it's highest forms. If she didn't have the sleds to tend to, Adrienne fancied that she might have learned dancing... but, she had her machines to care for.

Her blue eyes then fell on Cally, and Adrienne raised her eyebrow mockingly at the child's face. Already the two had been testing each other, and Adrienne had to admit; the girl had spirit. However, if Cally thought she was going to boss her around, Mik's daughter was sadly mistaken.

Lynx, who'd been perched on Adrienne's shoulder, watched the females in the room suspiciously. He looked from His to the little girl with the brown, then back to His. After a moment, once he was reassured that nothing might happen, Lynx trilled a greeting to the other firelizards in the room.
Rye
Rye
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hesper Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:54 am

"The day seemed to pass so slowly and I couldn't wait to come here. I was watching the seconds tick by."

Sashike smiled at the young girl. "Well you know the trick for making time go faster is to not pay attention to it. As hard as that may be sometimes." A soft knock fell on the door and Sashike said, "Come in" just as another girl opened the door and let herself in. She gave her a small nod and Sashike gave her one back. Kazuma chirped back to Lynx, so happy to have so many friends here to play with.

Sashike got up and gave a more proper bow to the new girl. "I'm glad you could join us. My name is Sashike. Please help yourself to some treats and we'll get started. I know your aunt is coming, but she'll be able to catch up quickly." She said. Sashike waited until the girl was seated and told her name to start.

"Alright ladies, please come and have a seat here and we will begin. Please sit how I am, for this is the proper way a geisha sits." She sat down on the floor with her legs under her, back perfectly straight. "Please try and sit like this for the entire lesson. It will not be a long lesson for I'm am just going over the basics of geisha." She explained taking a breath.

"The ancient Masters were profound and subtle.
Their wisdom was unfathomable.
There is no way to describe it;
all we can describe is their appearance.

They were careful
as someone crossing an iced-over stream.
Alert as a warrior in enemy territory.
Courteous as a guest.
Fluid as melting ice.
Shapable as a block of wood.
Receptive as a valley.
Clear as a glass of water.

Do you have the patience to wait
till your mud settles and the water is clear?
Can you remain unmoving
till the right action arises by itself?

The Master doesn't seek fulfillment.
Not seeking, not expecting,
she is present, and can welcome all things."

"That is a passage from some very ancient text, something profound to start the lesson off with." She explained. "Geisha are female entertainers who use their talent in art, dance, music, and conversation to amuse customers who pay for their time and service. Of course here on Pern we will not get paid for our services, we will simple be teaching others a very ancient way of life. Geisha translated means 'person of art'."

"Geisha wear many layers of kimono and undergarments. Formally geishas would have a otokosu to help dress them, but we will have to be each others otokosu. Geishas' wear their obi, which is a sash that holds all the layers together, tied in the back. They also wear tabi, special made socks that separate the first and the rest of the toes." Has she was explaining the outfit she had one of her less delicate ones out to show them. First she showed the different layers and the kimono itself and then the obi and the tabi. She handed them to Cally for closer inspection.

"Traditionally you girls would start off as Shikomi. Shikomi are young girls who come to an okiya, geisha house, too work as maids and learn the basics of being a geisha usually by waiting hand and foot on one of the geishas at the house, but we're going to skip this level and go to the next. Which is Minarai. Minarai do not do house work and can do simple performances. You will learn from me, your Okasan, and by the end of this stage you will learn conversation and games. At the end of training you will have a 'coming of age' ceremony and then will be Maiko."

"Maiko is an apprentice geisha. Traditionally you each would have a onee-san, big sister, to teach you. Instead I will be everyones onee-san. Everything about being a geisha you will learn at this stage. The proper way to serve tea, dancing, playing the shamisen, and casual conversation. The nature of geishas is to be innocent, demure, and perhaps a little flirtatious. I will also get to choose your geisha name once you have completed the Maiko stage and done you will have your 'turning the collar' ceremony and be full fledged geishas."

"Any questions so far?" She asked. There was only a little bit more she wanted to go over with them, but this was a good place to break for questions and maybe Beth would show up by the time she was ready to go on.
Hesper
Hesper
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Houka Ryuu Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:11 am

Cally
Cally, who was waiting for her Auntie Beth to arrive, was not prepared to be faced with Addy again. The girl had tolerated the older woman because Daddy sort of was friends with the older woman and Daddy had shared his quarters with Addy. Cally hadn't known that, the first day she had met her father. She only knew about it, when Addy showed up the day that Cally met her father. Cally had secretly wanted to have her dad all to herself but now, she lives with her Daddy and Addy. At least, she did get the other bed, and she smiled at the reminder of that day.

Cally didn't say anything to Addy even though what she really want to do was ask in an imperious voice, What are you doing here?!. After all, technically speaking, Cally is in Sashike's quarters, therefore Addy is Sashike's quest. Besides, Cally had seen that ad so she knows that Sashike is thrilled to have more people attend. She did raise her right eyebrow in answer to Addy's own raised eyebrows as if daring the older woman to say or do something to her.

But that was all the time she wasted on Addy for Sashike began the lesson and Cally treated Addy as if the older woman was air and Cally hardly ever looked towards Addy's direction again. She was very much focused on learning the lessons that Sashike would teach her in order to become a Geisha, just like Sashike.

Cally sat as still and quiet as Sashike had requested of her to do. It was hard to sit still in the position that she was in, but Cally endured, silent and without complaint, throughout the lesson. When Sashike asked if she had any questions, she just shook her head in answer for she was still looking at the kimono that Sashike had out for display in order to show the different parts that a Geisha would wear. She had no idea there were so many things that she would have to wear but she would pursue being a Geisha even if it meant having to spend time with Addy. She reverently touched the fabric of the kimono and felt the difference of the current kimono she was touching, from the kimono that Sashike had worn yesterday during the show at the dining cavern.

Hunter, had lain down beside Cally when Cally sat on the floor in front of Sashike. He lay down on his four legs but he was awake and not curled up to take a nap. He was watching and listening to what Sashike was teaching to Cally. However, he did keep his eye on where Addy was, he knew of how Cally felt towards Addy and he was going to make sure that Cally didn't have to deal with Addy if he can. Otherwise, he'll be there to drive the woman and her bronze away from Cally. He did give a trill of greetings to Kazuma when he had entered with Cally. He also gave a grudging greeting towards the bronze but that was all. He wasn't as friendly with the bronze as he was with blue Kazuma.
Houka Ryuu
Houka Ryuu
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rye Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:57 am

As Sashike nodded back, Adrienne offered the smaller woman a slight smile. She always loved those with manners, even if she herself didn't possess them most of the time.

"I'm glad you could join us. My name is Sashike. Please help yourself to some treats and we'll get started. I know your aunt is coming, but she'll be able to catch up quickly."

Adrienne, in a rare, complying mood, answered,

"I'm called Adrienne, Sashike. It's a pleasure."

Well, that might've been a tiny white lie.... It wasn't that Adrienne didn't like Sashike, she just didn't exactly want to be here. The only reason she had agreed to come was to do a favor for Mikhael, and now it seemed she was slowly being dragged into the whole "geisha" thing.

"Alright ladies, please come and have a seat here and we will begin. Please sit how I am, for this is the proper way a geisha sits... Please try and sit like this for the entire lesson. It will not be a long lesson for I'm am just going over the basics of geisha."

Whoa. Hold on a second. She wasn't planning on actually going through with it. Adrienne was only here to watch out for Cally... but the excited, happy look in Sashike's eyes kept Adrienne from voicing her thoughts. After all, she might've had temper issues at times, but that didn't mean she was as heartless as everyone made her out to be.

Lynx, sensing Adrienne's anxiety, warbled quietly into her ear; he was worried, and he hadn't left her shoulder because of it. Adrienne shushed him, though, as she sat down and did exactly as Sashike had instructed.

As Sashike began to speak, Adrienne was entranced by her smooth, poetic words. It was soothing, and soon she forgot her earlier misgivings. When Sashike explained about the text, Adrienne was listening intently.

Once Sashike finished, Adrienne was actually turning the idea of training to be a geisha in her mind. After all, if she did it she could report back to Mik each day and tell him of Cally, and plus.... Adrienne couldn't resist a challenge. Things might change after the hatching, but for now, Adrienne was going to do it.

"Any questions so far?"

The words broke Adrienne from her reverie, and, after casting a glance at Cally, she asked,

"About how long does the process take? Do we move as fast as our skill allows, or do we go at the same pace?"

Her words probably seemed rude, but Adrienne was back to her old self and really didn't care. She knew what she wanted, and once she set her mind to it, Adrienne felt like she could accomplish anything. Her blazing blue eyes hinted at her iron will, but she didn't speak again; instead she actually waited for Sashike to answer her.
Rye
Rye
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hesper Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:59 pm

"About how long does the process take? Do we move as fast as our skill allows, or do we go at the same pace?"

She was glad one of them had a question, though she sensed some tension with both of the girls in the same room. She wouldn't question it though, they were being civil and that was all she asked for. "It goes by skill level. The Minarai level normally only take a month. Then the Maiko stage can last anywhere from three months to a few years. I'm sure it won't take us that long." She answered with a smile. "Shall we continue then?" When she didn't get any objections she went on with the lesson.

"Personal relationships are a bit of a tricky subject with geisha. We may be flirtatious, but it's not expected of us. Geishas, true geishas, would never offer sex for their services. That is what onsen-geishas do. Geishas are expected to be single women and if they ever choose to marry then they are expected to retire from their life as a geisha. Since we are living in different times on a different planet, this is not something I will expect of you. If the two of you ever decide to marry you may still practice being a geisha. I though will still follow the old ways, since it was how I was raised."

"Traditionally geisha's were know to take a danna. A danna was generally a very wealthy man, sometimes married or not, that could afford the high prices a geisha would need for training and other costs. In return the danna would have first priority to the geisha's time and services. The difference with a danna compared to other clients is that occasionally the geisha and danna would have an relationship. Sometimes it would be love, other times it would just be sexual, and sometimes it was purely business. I don't really expect us to have danna's here, but it's something that important way back when." She paused for another moment to see if there was any question to this part of the lesson.
Hesper
Hesper
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Houka Ryuu Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:57 pm

Cally
At Addy's question, Cally's interest was caught. It was actually a good question to ask and she stopped admiring the kimono and listened to what Sashike had to say about it. She learned that there were levels to attain in order to become fully Geisha. Sashike told them how each level would normally take to achieve but she didn't say anything about the jobs or tasks that each level would be responsible for doing or learning. However, before she could ask about it, Sashiki continued with her lesson and Cally had to keep her mouth shut and listen attentively. She did remember to ask her question when Sashike paused in her speech.

When Sashike had continued with her lesson, she talked about Geisha not being allowed to have personal relationships. Cally wondered at that, but just shrugged the thought aside. After all, Sashike just said that she didn't have to follow that part of the training to become a Geisha. Besides, it wasn't as if, her mind was mature enough to start thinking of boys in that way. And, Cally views sex as an act between married couples only so, she was very glad that offering sex was not part of being a true Geisha. Then, there was talk about a Danna but Cally wasn't too interested in that. She did listen to the lesson regarding them.

When Sashike finally made another pause in her lesson, Cally asked the question that she had wanted to ask earlier. "Umm, earlier, you told us about the different levels and how long to complete them. Um... what tasks would those levels entail. Like the..." Cally paused to think of an example. Then she continued with, "Like the Minarai, what do they normally do? And how will I know if I'm getting any closer to finally stepping up to a higher rank?" Cally asked Sashike. And then she sat silent, waiting for Sashike's reply.

Hunter remained silent as well as he listened to the converstation between the ladies.
Houka Ryuu
Houka Ryuu
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hesper Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:24 am

"That is a very good question. This is your first lesson which is a general over view of geishas. Your second lesson will be on honorifics and the Japanese language. Don't worry, you won't have to learn the language. I'll just teach you a few words for fun. Next will be on conversation, which may sound silly but in fact conversation is one of the geisha's most important skills. Finally you'll learn serving tea and tea ceremonies. After that you'll have your Misedashi, graduation, and will move on to Maiko."

"Now onto make up." Sashike said getting up and getting a large wooden box then bringing it back. "This is everything a geisha will ever need make up wise. Also you will always put your make up on before your kimono. Now as I'm explaining this to you I'll be putting it on so you can see what I'm meaning." She said taking out a jars and brushes. "First a waxy substance, hintsuke-ahura, is applied to the skin. Then the white, or shirosuri, make up is put on the face, neck, and chest all over. Except on the nape of the neck you will leave a V or W shape like this," she turned around to show them what she was meaning, "leaving this area bare is suppose to be very erotic. After all of that is put on you will take a sponge and blend the foundation while removing excess moisture."

"After the white make up is on, you'll do the eyes. Black eye liner is used around the eyes and to define the eyebrows. A little bit of red is also used on the eyes right on the far corners of the eyes. Then the lip is colored. Now for Maiko and lower only the bottom lip is colored, this is to make the lips look smaller, being more attractive. Geisha will color their bottom and top lip." She explained and showed them quickly the difference between just the bottom and both lips being colored.

"Almost done girls." She said with a wink. "This is proper dress for the different levels. For Minarai you will wear your hair down and neat, little or no make up, and a very soft colored kimonos. Maiko wear their hair in the traditional momoware style with combs and hair decor, full make up, and very elaborate and brightly colored kimonos. Geisha can wear their hair up or down, but always neat, normal make up except for special occasions and dances, and simple but elegant kimonos. Geishas wear a flat-soled sandal called zori outdoors, and tabi (white, split-toed socks) indoors. Raised wooden clogs called geta are worn in inclement weather. Maiko wear black lacquered sandals called okobo."

She gave a big sigh of relief. "Well that's it ladies. That's all I have to tell you for the first lesson. You're free to go now, or you can stick around and pick out your first Minarai kimono and okobo to wear for lessons." She figured at least Cally would want to stick around to pick out a kimono. "You'll also be given a gift from me once you have your Misedashi."
Hesper
Hesper
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Houka Ryuu Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:13 pm

Cally
Cally nodded listening as Sashike was speaking. Then she watched intently as Sashike put on the make up. Cally had never really seen her mother put on make up like Sashike was doing so this was all new to her. And right before her eyes, Cally saw Sashike transform herself into that once more pretty lady that she had seen the night before.

When the lesson seemed to be over, Cally asked a question with regards about the make up. She looked at Addy first wondering if the woman was staying or leaving but then, she just shrugged her shoulders and was once more focused with Sashike. "Does leaving a V shape or a W shape at the nape of the neck have any meaning?" Cally asked wondering if there were any significant meaning to leaving a V as opposed to leaving a W at the nape of the neck.
Houka Ryuu
Houka Ryuu
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hesper Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:58 am

"Does leaving a V shape or a W shape at the nape of the neck have any meaning?"

"There really isn't any meaning to it. It's just the patterns that have been used through out the years. Leaving that spot bare was the geisha's being a bit sensual. Since the skin was bare and not covered by make up. That area on the back of the neck was thought to be one of the most erotic back when geisha's were really popular." Sashike explained to Cally.

After that she got up and went to a huge chest next to the back wall of her living room. From it she pulled out a huge pile of what looked like cloth. Then she came back over and put the pile of cloth down. Next she began separating the cloth which started looking more like kimonos. "Here we go ladies. These will all pass for Minarai kimonos. So take your pick."
Hesper
Hesper
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rye Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:00 am

[Sorry I've missed my posts... my muse has been rather absent.]

Adrienne

As Sashike continued to explain the ways of the geisha, Adrienne was already thinking of the future, when she'd be a full-fledged geisha. Of course, she would not have a Danna; no man would own her.

The only part Adrienne wasn't so sure about was the make-up. Really. She'd look like a racoon if she tried to make her skin as white as Sashike's. Already her skin was darker than most women's, and the summer wasn't even over! She didn't comment, though; it was an obstacle she'd tackle later.

As Sashike got up and rummaged about in the back of the room, Adrienne allowed herself a look at Cally. The girl seemed very interested... and Adrienne knew Mikhael wouldn't be so happy about that. She might be able to convince him to let her stay, though....

What?

She was going to intercede for the little girl? Hell, no. What was she thinking? Adrienne shook her head slightly, trying to rid herself of the traitorous thoughts.

"Here we go ladies. These will all pass for Minarai kimonos. So take your pick."

Sashike's words jolted her back to the present, and as the little woman gestured to the dresses Adrienne stood and walked over to her. Some of the dresses were rather plain, while others were more extravagant than Adrienne really cared for. If she had her preference, she wouldn't have to wear one at all, but... she did.

Eventually a blue-green one caught her eye, and with a slight smile at Sashike she gingerly picked it up and asked,

"Will this do?"

The bright blue hues would do wonders for her eyes... if she ever had to wear it, that is.

Hanamachi (geishas) The first lesson. B-kimono-bambooL-peacock_blue-600

This is the dress Adrienne picked up. =]
Rye
Rye
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Houka Ryuu Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:42 am

Cally
Cally listened silently and nodded her head to let Sashike know that she was indeed listening and taking Sashike's words to heart. And when Sashike stood up and went towards a chest at the back, Cally wondered what Sashike was up to now.

But then, Sashike started to bring out so many kimonos that Cally at first didn't know which one to choose. In the end, though, there were two that had caught her eye. And when she heard Addy having chosen a kimono of her own, she looked up to see what Addy had picked. It was blue-green with what looked like leaves as the overall pattern. Cally silently snorted at Addy's kimono.

Cally was not about to get caught in such a boyish color. She liked Pinks and Reds and a few pastel colors. She rarely wore blue or black, much less grey. Those were just drab in Cally opinion. But since she couldn't make up her mind, she held up the two kimonos that she was interested in. To Sashike she asked, "Which do you think would look better on me?"

First she held up a kimono, mostly white with a few simple red flower patterns.
Hanamachi (geishas) The first lesson. Kimono1

Then she held up a second kimono, pink with an overall pattern of small red trailing flowers.
Hanamachi (geishas) The first lesson. Kimono2
Houka Ryuu
Houka Ryuu
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hesper Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:27 am

Sashike couldn't help but smile as the girls picked out their fist kimonos. It was a special occasion and the fact they were actually getting to pick was special in itself. She hadn't been able to pick, but here on Pern she would make something different for geishas.

"Yes, that one will look beautiful on you Adrienne." She answered her.

Cally was then the next to pick hers. She picked out two of them, not sure which she wanted, then she asked her what she thought. "Personally of the two, I like the first one the best. Of course it was my grandmother's first kimono, so I'm a bit prejudice." She explained to her.
Hesper
Hesper
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rye Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:07 pm

"Yes, that one will look beautiful on you Adrienne."

Adrienne retuned her smile softly, and she was about to comment on Cally's choices when Lynx suddenly popped into the air front of her. She'd been so caught up in the kimonos she hadn't noticed his abscence, and now she was all ears as he sent her a mental image of Mikhael under a sled. Doing his best, Lynx said, Mikhael wants help. It was a simple message, and obviously the other mechanic had told him to say it, but Adrienne got the message.

Turning to Sashike, she told the tiny woman,

"I'm sorry, but Mikhael needs my help in the shop. I have to leave, but I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed it, and I cannot wait for the next lesson."

After flashing her a wry smile, Adrienne turned to Cally and said,

"Take care of yourself, now, and don't bug Sashike too much. I've got to go help your dad with something... So, I'll see you later tonight."

With a slight bow of her head for Sashike, she quietly left the room and shut the door behind her, wondering what in the hell Mik needed her for. Lynx, after trilling a good-bye to the others, followed his mistress out the door, barely making it out before she shut it.
Rye
Rye
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hesper Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:25 am

"I'm sorry, but Mikhael needs my help in the shop. I have to leave, but I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed it, and I cannot wait for the next lesson."

"It was a pleasure to meet you Adrienne. I can't wait to see you at our next lesson. Take care." Sashike said as Adrienne left her quarters. "It will be in a week on the same day."

"That goes for you too, Cally. The next lesson will be in a week. I'll try to keep it shorter next time, but I'll try to never go longer than what I did today." She said to the young girl. "Next lesson you'll get to dress up as a Minarai. I'll even help you with your make up." She explained to her.
Hesper
Hesper
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Houka Ryuu Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:52 am

Cally
Cally looked at the two kimonos that she had picked. Sashike said that the first one had been the one worn by Sashike's Grandmother. After a few more minutes of looking between the two, Cally made her decision. She will go with the more simple kimono. May be that way, her beauty will outshine the kimono that she was wearing.

Nodding to herself with her decision, she was about to tell Sashike but Sashike informed her of their next lesson which was to be in a week's time. Nodding her head that she had heard Sashike, Cally said, "Okay, I'll be here. And maybe next time, I can drag Auntie Beth with me. By the way, I'll choose this one." as she held up the first kimono, the white one with the simple red flower patterns. The one that had been worn by Sashike's Grandmother.
Houka Ryuu
Houka Ryuu
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down