Pern: Chronicles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
IC TIme

Current Pass
1st Pass

Year
11 AL (After Landing)

Season
Early Summer

Month
Month 13

Weather
Summer has finally come around again. Temperatures are expected to range from a high of 80°F (26°C) to a low of 65°F (18°C) making this summer warmer than normal. On some days you can expect a light cool breeze and evening are quickly warming up.

Weyrleaders

Caldera Weyr

Weyrwoman

Adrienne of Gold Galateath

Weyrleader

M'kael of Bronze Zharath

Cibola Weyr

TBA

Events

Please remember that you need to start you posts with..

IC Time:
IC Setting:

Current Events

14 of Galateath's 16 eggs hatch healthy and find partners. Congratulations.

This summer is warming up to be a hot one; as temperature are already warmer than normal.

Delanth has lain a clutch of 8 eggs; how many will hatch and will they be healthy.

Congratulations to the newest searched candidates.

Latest topics
» Second Pass Weyr | AU Canon Dragonriders of Pern
A new venue. (Roman) EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 5:47 pm by Advertiser

» Solace Weyr
A new venue. (Roman) EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 8:07 am by Advertiser

» ACTIVITY CHECK NUMBER TWO.
A new venue. (Roman) EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 7:32 am by Delimar71

» Sanyo Weyr
A new venue. (Roman) EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 12:07 pm by Advertiser

» Whoniverse-rp (Doctor Who) Wanna Be a Pirate?
A new venue. (Roman) EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 11:44 am by Advertiser

» GESTALT THEORY 2.0
A new venue. (Roman) EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 8:03 am by Advertiser

» Selenitas Weyr
A new venue. (Roman) EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 9:05 am by Advertiser

» Expedition Pern
A new venue. (Roman) EmptyThu Aug 26, 2010 8:34 pm by Advertiser

» Endless Horizons
A new venue. (Roman) EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 1:02 am by Advertiser

» A Clockwork Pern
A new venue. (Roman) EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 8:09 am by Advertiser

Copyright
All references to worlds and characters based on Anne McCaffrey's fiction are Copyright © Anne McCaffrey 1967-2009, all rights reserved. The Dragonriders of Pern® is Reg U.S. Pat & Tm. Office, by Anne McCaffrey, and may not be used or reproduced without permission of the author.

All content herein are Copyright © 2009 Pern: Chronicles. Characters are Copyright © to their respective authors.
Chit-Chat
There seems to be something wrong with chatango. We'll use cbox for the moment until chatango is up and running.

A new venue. (Roman)

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

A new venue. (Roman) Empty A new venue. (Roman)

Post by Hesper Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:49 am

Pern certainly had turned out to be something none of the settlers had ever thought of. Sure it was the gorgeous, untouched, planet they were promised, but had they known of thread from the get go he was sure that they would have either came prepared to eradicate it or not come at all. He wasn't upset like some people had been, he was adjusting since it was either that or curl up and die. And giving up was not something he did.

A lot of the cattle herd he had been in charge of had been victims in the first thread fall. What remained were kept in constant care and under supervision. It would take awhile to build the herd up again, but with careful planning they'd be able to do it. Until then he was a bit bored. With so few cattle he didn't have as much to do during the day. His chores were over before the sun was at it's highest point. So today he found himself wandering over to the horse's pens.

He'd never done a lot with horses, sure he'd rode one or two in his life, but his expertise was cattle, mainly dairy cows. He leaned against the fence and watched some of the horses that were out in the pasture. Trent had to admit that horses were much more graceful than cows, prettier too. He loved his cows though, but it would be nice to be a bit more experienced with horses. Perhaps since he had a lot of down time now he could find someone who would be willing to help him. He didn't have any idea who would do that for him though.
Hesper
Hesper
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

A new venue. (Roman) Empty Re: A new venue. (Roman)

Post by Rye Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:06 pm

As Roman strode by the horse pens, he couldn't help but notice the young man leaning against the fence. He'd just come back from working out a sale with another horse owner for a few new broodmares, and he was very pleased with his purchase. The mares had excellent, proven bloodlines, and they were flashy, too; something that would add to the value of his stock.
The young guy looked like he was in deep thought, and Roman couldn't help himself; his outgoing nature called him to go talk to the young fellow. Ah, what the hell. I have time....

Coming from behind him, Roman took a position on the left of the blond-haired younger man and watched the horse herd with him. In the far right corner of the pasture he saw one of the buckskin mares he'd just bought, and he smiled as he watched her interact with her filly.

After a few moments of companionable silence, Roman spoke, his voice taking on the tone of a proud father.

"Beautiful, aren't they?"

Zane then chose that moment to appear out of between, chirping happily at the sight of his. After the bronze landed on Roman's shoulder, though, he got quiet, scrutinizing the blonde-haired man beside Roman.

Roman, sensing Zane's suspicious mood, chuckled and told the bronze mentally, Whoa, love. He's fine. He's perfectly okay. Turning to the man beside him, Roman apologized.

"Just ignore him."

Last edited by Rye on Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Rye
Rye
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hesper Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:50 pm

Trent could feel someone coming up behind him, but he didn't go on the defensive. Here on people there was less chance of being murdered or robbed than there was back on old Earth. A man he didn't really know came up to his left and also leaned against the fence.

He didn't say anything, no need to. They were both enjoying nature as it was intended to be. Trent knew as long as he would live and no matter what he saw in his life he would always be astounded by nature and her beauty. After their companionable silence was over, the man spoke. "Beautiful, aren't they?" He said proudly.

"That they are." Trent replied. "You in charge of them?" He asked politely, turning towards the man. Out of no where a bronze firelizard popped in and began giving him a scrutinizing look. Trent had been to busy every time a clutch had hatched for him to impress one, but he was fine with that. He was hoping to impress one of their big cousins instead.

"He's fine. I'm use to the antics of animals and so far I still think cows are more cantankerous than these guys. The name's Trent, Trent Malone. Nice to meet you."
Hesper
Hesper
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rye Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:15 am

"He's fine. I'm use to the antics of animals and so far I still think cows are more cantankerous than these guys. The name's Trent, Trent Malone. Nice to meet you."

Roman grinned amiably at his comment, then nodded politely as the younger man introduced himself. Replying, he said,

"I'm Roman Kincade, Trent, and I'd have to disagree with you on the cows. You apparently haven't met my horses."

Remembering Trent's earlier question, Roman thought quickly before answering.

"In answer to your question, no, I'm not in charge here. I just bought a few broodmares to contribute to the stock on my ranch; with some luck, we'll have new foals next spring."

As Roman noticed the admiring gaze Trent gave the horses, he smiled easily. The young man seemed like he'd never really had the chance to work with horses much, and Roman, being the kind of person he was, offered,

"You know, if you ever get some free time you're welcome to ride over to my place. I'm sure my mother wouldn't mind to cook for one more person, and my sister, Lesla, would be glad to help me introduce you to the herds."

Zane, sitting still on Roman's broad shoulder, warbled in agreement. The bronze wasn't really sure was what being talked about, but he knew it made his happy, and so he was content.
Rye
Rye
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hesper Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:28 am

"That sounds great. Except one thing. I don't have a horse. Hence why I'm standing here like a love struck puppy." He said with a giggle. Trent never had much reason to go very far so he never spent the energy in getting a horse. Which was the reason he was here in the first place, to learn horsemanship better. "I've got the free time. My dairy herd was pretty much wiped out by thread and until the calves drop and we can grow the herd again, I'm a bit bored."

"I'm sure I could find some way to get to your place, even if it would take me a bit of time. I bet your mother makes some pretty good food. I'd love to become a bit more familiar with horses, since they'll be a major source of information here on Pern." He continued on to say.
Hesper
Hesper
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rye Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:35 pm

"That sounds great. Except one thing. I don't have a horse. Hence why I'm standing here like a love struck puppy.... I've got the free time. My dairy herd was pretty much wiped out by thread and until the calves drop and we can grow the herd again, I'm a bit bored."

"I'm sure I could find some way to get to your place, even if it would take me a bit of time. I bet your mother makes some pretty good food. I'd love to become a bit more familiar with horses, since they'll be a major source of transportation here on Pern."

Roman grinned at Trent's words; he could easily be good friends with this kid. Replying, Roman said,

"I know how you feel. Half of our herd was demolished when the Thread hit, thus the reason I'm buying new broodmares. They're all quater horses; a good, reliable breed that can ride over terrain like this easily. Plus, Lesla came up with the idea that we might start trying to come up with a new breed of racehorses, and quarter horses are known for their fast heats."

" Yeah, Mama does cook pretty well, and she loves guests."

Thinking about it, Roman made a quick decision and told Trent,

"You know, I was thinking about it, and if you've got some time know I could show you a few basic things. I rode my stallion, Ares, here, and he's in one of the pens over there. That's if you want to, of course..."
Rye
Rye
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hesper Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:35 am

"Thread devastated a lot of people. My dairy herd was three forth wiped out by it. Thank god most of the pregnant cows made it. Hopefully we'll be able to raise the herd again through them. We were trying to breed a new type of dairy cow, one that would be a bit more hardy for Pern life, but now we're going to have to start over."

Trent thought about his question. He hadn't expected to be able to take lessons right away, but since Roman had offered.

"Sure. Why not. It's not like I'm doing anything at the moment and as long as you're not too busy."
Hesper
Hesper
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rye Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:10 pm

"Thread devastated a lot of people. My dairy herd was three forth wiped out by it. Thank god most of the pregnant cows made it. Hopefully we'll be able to raise the herd again through them. We were trying to breed a new type of dairy cow, one that would be a bit more hardy for Pern life, but now we're going to have to start over."

Roman nodded, knowing exactly what Trent'd went through, and maybe more. Their herds were eaten alive by the strands, and what made it even worse on their family was having to watch as their father was consumed by it. It was a scene that often haunted Roman's nightmares, but he'd come to terms with it.

"Sure. Why not. It's not like I'm doing anything at the moment and as long as you're not too busy."

Roman smiled again at Trent before motioning to him and saying,

"Follow me; he's this way."

Striding by the various pens with Trent in pursuit, Roman noticed others working with their horses. Seeing how some struggled, he was once again thankful for his faithful Ares and the training his father'd given him as a child.

Eventually they came up on one of the very last pens; a corral that was almost by itself in comparison to the other pens. Roman whistled lightly, and his big stallion, Ares, picked his head up and trotted over to the wall of his confining pen, sticking his head over and nickering an affectionate greeting.

Stopping right beside his horse, Roman stroked his dark reddish-brown face before looking back to Trent somewhat expectantly.

"Go ahead, introduce yourself. He won't bite..."
Rye
Rye
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hesper Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:17 pm

Trent followed the man to where he's horse was being corralled. With a name like Ares, he figured that the horse would be big, and he was right. The stallion seemed like a calm creature though. That was a good sign at least for Trent.

"Go ahead, introduce yourself. He won't bite..."

Trent did as told and walked up to the big stallion. He was a bit unsure of himself, but he wasn't afraid or nervous. Cautiously he got close to Ares and slowly patted his neck. "Hey there Ares, I'm Trent, good to meet ya." He said, though honestly he felt a bit silly introducing himself to a horse. "He's a beauty all right."
Hesper
Hesper
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rye Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:29 pm

"He's a beauty all right."

Roman, pleased that Ares was behaving himself, smiled and shook his head.

"Yeah, he's alright. He was a gift from my father on my 21st birthday."

After one last look at Ares and Trent, Roman walked around and slid through one of the gaps between the bars, not even bothering with a gate. Reaching up he grabbed Ares's halter from a hook mounted on one of the posts, and he slowly began to walk over to his big blood bay. Ares, hearing Roman's approach, turned and eyed him curiously as Roman instructed Trent in the proper way of catching a horse.

"In close spaces like this, it isn't so bad, but you always need to remain calm whenever going to halter a horse. If you're nervous or scared, they pick up on it and wonder what's coming to get you, and thus them. If you act like this is your domain from the get go, they won't be pushy or challenge your leadership."

With sure, planned steps Roman got closer to Ares and placed his hand reassuringly on the stallion's whithers. Ares, after years of knowing Roman, didn't need this treatment, but Roman wanted to demostrate the correct technique to Trent. After all, if you can't catch a horse you can't enjoy it's company.
Rye
Rye
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hesper Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:46 pm

"Nice gift." Trent said with a smile. He watched as Roman went into the corral and grabbed a halter off of a post. After that Trent made sure to listen closely to what Roman was saying. He wanted to make sure he got all of it that way he would the correct way to halter a horse.

"Got it. Don't be nervous or scared. Being scared I'm sure I won't have a problem with, but can't say I won't be a bit on the nervous side working with an animal I have no history with." He said. "Speaking of animals with no history, I wonder what our dragons are going to like. Are you a candidate Roman?"
Hesper
Hesper
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rye Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:09 am

"Got it. Don't be nervous or scared. Being scared I'm sure I won't have a problem with, but can't say I won't be a bit on the nervous side working with an animal I have no history with.....Speaking of animals with no history, I wonder what our dragons are going to be like. Are you a candidate, Roman?"

Roman looked through the gaps between the bars at Trent as he spoke, and Ares nuzzled his back affectionately. After stroking Ares's back absentmindedly as he thought, Roman spoke, replying to Trent's query.

"Yep, sure am. I've often thought about that, myself."

With a smile for the younger man, Roman continued,

"By the way you're referring to them, I assume you're a candidate as well. I have to admit, I'm nervous. What would I do with my herds if I'm picked by a dragon?"
Rye
Rye
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hesper Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:37 am

"By the way you're referring to them, I assume you're a candidate as well. I have to admit, I'm nervous. What would I do with my herds if I'm picked by a dragon?"

Trent nodded, "That I am indeed. At first when they asked me I almost turned it down, but then I thought 'This is a great opportunity and I shouldn't pass it up.' The thing I'm wondering the most is high big they're going to be. I mean if we're suppose to ride them they have to be at least the size of a horse. I would miss my cows, but there are a lot of good hands watching them as well and they will do a good job without me."
Hesper
Hesper
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rye Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:26 pm

"That I am indeed. At first when they asked me I almost turned it down, but then I thought 'This is a great opportunity and I shouldn't pass it up.' The thing I'm wondering the most is how big they're going to be. I mean, if we're suppose to ride them they have to be at least the size of a horse. I would miss my cows, but there are a lot of good hands watching them as well and they will do a good job without me."

Roman, his attention momentarily diverted from Ares, told Trent,

"Lucky. My sister and I are the only ones who tend our herds, and we're both candidates. So, if we're both chosen, there won't be anyone to watch out for my mother or tend to our herds. My father died in the first Threadfall, so.... yeah. We'd be in deep muck."

"Don't get me wrong; I want to be chosen. It's the chance to be part of something magnificent, and I definitely don't want to miss out. But, I still have my worries."
Rye
Rye
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hesper Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:25 am

"Lucky. My sister and I are the only ones who tend our herds, and we're both candidates. So, if we're both chosen, there won't be anyone to watch out for my mother or tend to our herds. My father died in the first Threadfall, so.... yeah. We'd be in deep muck. Don't get me wrong; I want to be chosen. It's the chance to be part of something magnificent, and I definitely don't want to miss out. But, I still have my worries."

"I'm sorry to hear that. I was lucky, none of my friends were killed and none of my family is here. I'm sure you could find someone to take over for you in case the both of you get chosen." He said sincerely.

"It will be a magnificent thing to be a part of. Even if we're not sure what exactly is in store for us. I know it'll be dangerous, exciting, hard work and probably pretty stressful. Eh, I'm excited for it though."
Hesper
Hesper
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rye Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:11 pm

"I'm sorry to hear that. I was lucky, none of my friends were killed and none of my family is here. I'm sure you could find someone to take over for you in case the both of you get chosen."

Trent's words were sincere, and Roman shrugged.

"I can only hope so."

Stroking Ares's thick neck, Roman felt some comfort from his mount's closeness. When things got bad, all Roman ever diid was go out to Ares's pasture and just stand with the stallion; it calmed the man, and the blood bay enjoyed the company.

As Trent spoke again, Roman was broken from his reverie and he looked back up to Trent's eyes.

"It will be a magnificent thing to be a part of. Even if we're not sure what exactly is in store for us. I know it'll be dangerous, exciting, hard work and probably pretty stressful. Eh, I'm excited for it though."

Roman nodded; Trent had hit the nail straight on the head.

"As I am, Trent. Can you imagine, riding a dragon? I remember my parents, back on earth, reading me fairy tales about such things. I never imagined it to ever be a reality."
Rye
Rye
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hesper Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:11 am

"As I am, Trent. Can you imagine, riding a dragon? I remember my parents, back on earth, reading me fairy tales about such things. I never imagined it to ever be a reality."

Trent could only laugh for a moment as memories from his childhood rushed his memory. "No I can't. When I was really young I use to run around the farm, chasing cows with a fake sword, pretending they were dragons to be slayed. Never would have thought just a few short years later I'd be on another planet excited about maybe getting to ride a dragon of my very own. It is an awesome thing indeed. I was surprised as hell to see the dragonets here naturally."
Hesper
Hesper
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rye Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:37 pm

"No I can't. When I was really young I use to run around the farm, chasing cows with a fake sword, pretending they were dragons to be slayed. Never would have thought just a few short years later I'd be on another planet excited about maybe getting to ride a dragon of my very own. It is an awesome thing indeed. I was surprised as hell to see the dragonets here naturally."

Roman laughed with him, thinking they had much more in common than they'd originally thought.

"I did basically the same thing. I rode my little mare all around, pretending I was I knight chasing down dragons."

At the word "dragon" Zane chirped questioningly, wondering what was being said. He knew enough to recognize the common word, and he was curious.
Rye
Rye
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hesper Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:07 pm

"Despite all the hardships we've faced since coming here to Pern. I wouldn't want to reverse my decision of coming. This was probably the best decision I've ever made in my life and I know the best is to come. To hell with thread, it's merely an interruption. We'll find a way to get through it and in the end we'll succeed. That's what humans have always done." Trent said with pride for his species.

(bit short, sorry)
Hesper
Hesper
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rye Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:27 am

"Despite all the hardships we've faced since coming here to Pern. I wouldn't want to reverse my decision of coming. This was probably the best decision I've ever made in my life and I know the best is to come. To hell with thread, it's merely an interruption. We'll find a way to get through it and in the end we'll succeed. That's what humans have always done."

Roman just nodded. However blunt he may be, Trent had hit the nail right on the head.

"It'll be hard, but you're right. We'll succeed in the end, and hell, if we get to ride fire-breathing dragons in the process, I might actually get used to Thread."

Roman then turned back to Ares, stroking the horse's neck affectionately.

"So, what are your thoughts on the hatching? How much longer do you think it'll be before we finally get a glimpse of these "dragons"?"
Rye
Rye
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hesper Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:24 pm

"It'll be hard, but you're right. We'll succeed in the end, and hell, if we get to ride fire-breathing dragons in the process, I might actually get used to Thread."

Trent laughed. "Yeah no kidding. Though I bet even being on the back of a fire breathing dragon won't help too much when we're in the middle of thread. That stuff is the worse thing I've ever seen."

"So, what are your thoughts on the hatching? How much longer do you think it'll be before we finally get a glimpse of these "dragons"?"

"Personally I'm excited. I can't wait for it, though I bet it'll be a bit dangerous. I'm thinking they'll look just like the firelizards, just a whole lot bigger. I don't know, I could be wrong. Genetics is something I will never understand."
Hesper
Hesper
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rye Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:04 am

Roman laughed, telling Trent,

"You know, I like you. We think pretty much along the same lines.

Genetics has never been my strong point, but I do know something of animal husbandry. I've had to learn, in order to keep my horses' lines strong."

Zane, perched on Roman's shoulder, began to croon plaintively, obviously needing something. When Roman turned and mentally questioned him, the bronze just told him, Hungry. The bronze's plea reminded him of his own hunger, and with a sigh, Roman turned and looked apologetically at Trent.

"I'm sorry, but Zane has just informed me it's time to eat. You want to come? I'm gonna head back out to my ranch..."
Rye
Rye
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hesper Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:32 am

"I'm sorry, but Zane has just informed me it's time to eat. You want to come? I'm gonna head back out to my ranch..."

"Sure, I'd love to. If I wouldn't be a bother that is." Trent replied. "I think you are very right. You know what they say, 'Great minds run in the same direction.'"

"I know enough to keep my lines going as well, but that's about it. It amazes me what some geneticist can do though." He said with amazement. "Truthfully I'm a bit hungry myself."
Hesper
Hesper
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rye Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:56 pm

"You won't be a bother at all. My mother loves company."

Roman was smiling already, thinking of his mother's reaction. He frowned, though, whenever a thought struck him. He had Ares to ride home, but what of Trent? None of his other, newly aquired stock was broken enough to let Trent ride... and, where he'd gladly offer Ares, the stallion wasn't too accepting of strangers.

"Trent? I don't have a horse for you to ride.... so, I'm just going to lead Ares and walk beside him, so I won't be riding when you're walking. It's about a 15 minute hike up from here...."

With an apologetic smile, Roman asked,

"You don't mind, do you?"
Rye
Rye
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hesper Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:31 am

"Trent? I don't have a horse for you to ride.... so, I'm just going to lead Ares and walk beside him, so I won't be riding when you're walking. It's about a 15 minute hike up from here...."

"That's fine. Of course I wouldn't mind if you rode either. I'm a strong enough man. A little walking isn't going to hurt me any." Trent answered him. "Honestly a nice hike sounds good right about now and it's not like we have to be there in a hurry or anything."

His stomach was starting to rumble with hunger. Food sounded really good to him, especially home cooked food. Lately he'd been eating left overs and those got very old after a while.
Hesper
Hesper
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next